Udara / Agbalumo
African apple known as Udara in Igbo language and Agbalumo in Yoruba language
As many people know, the benefits of vitamin C include protection against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease and even ageing of the skin. The Agbalumo is a wonderful source of vitamin C, and with 25 mg of vitamin C per 100 gram of fruit
- Its high fibre content provides food bulk which both increases satiety and aids digestion so it is very ideal for weight watchers.
- It has a surprisingly decent amount of Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). Clearly, Vitamin C sources are not exclusive to the citrus fruits family- in fact, Guava has much more!
- Recently published researches done here in Nigeria about Udara/Agbalumo leaves carried out on rats showed two possible medicinal uses:
- It could serve as a natural source of Anti-Oxidant booster to remove free radicals from oxidative stress disorders, and
- Its leaf extract contains Hypoglycemic (to treat Diabetes) and Anti-Platelet activities, although it also had toxic effects on some organs
Latest posts by Okoye Gift (see all)
- How to Gain Flat tummy in no time - March 29, 2019
- Nigerian Ethnic Groups and their Traditional attires - March 14, 2019
- INEC to conduct Supplementary Presidential Election March 9 - March 1, 2019